Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Current Size: 100%

Sauvian

 

On the road towards the beaches

The town of Sauvian, founded at the site of a Gallo-Roman villa (salvinus), still bears the traces of its past history. The castle (privately owned) with its sixteenth century towers, medieval gate with clock, the fountain obelisk dating from 1664, an artesian well and washing fountain, is a real treasure of our heritage  whose story begins during the reorganization of the Carolingian Marquisate The Church of St. Cornelius and St. Cyprian dating from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries presents an ancient underground necropolis. The location of the village on the Sauvian plain is ideal for growing vines, and they are everywhere! You can still see the milestone that marked the ancient meeting of several Roman roads.

 

Vines and Roman roads...

Roman roads, some vestiges of which remain near the town of Lunel, were built for moving the Roman legions. The Domitian Way running through the Languedoc from Beaucaire in the Gard to Le Perthus in the Pyrenees-Orientales is probably the most ancient road in Gaul. Its path is marked by Gallo-Roman villas on which many villages of the Béziers region were built, among them Sauvian. The vine was planted along these tracks which then became real trade routes. In their perpetual movement, the legions saw their centurions arrive at retirement age along these routes. Thus, they had the privilege to settle in the territory where wine flowed freely! These "villas" prospered and contributed to the Languedoc vineyards which are now the largest in the world.

  • Français
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Nederlands
  • Español